Our client is one of the leading exporters of premium & prepared vegetables from East Africa and also the largest commercial grower and exporter of chilies from Kenya! They aim to provide quality products which redefine what innovative, healthy and delicious vegetables should be. And as for their flower business they entered the floriculture industry in 2011 and in 2012 began exporting roses to the Netherlands, Great Britain, Germany, the Middle East and other key markets. In a relatively short time they built their branding name in the East Africa flower industry mainly due to high quality products, modern facilities and commitment and dedication of our professional team.
As a relatively young business of under 20 years of age and with over 4,000 employees working on a multi-site, multi-grower basis they are growing rapidly with a pure international reach. As such this has created a select number of new opportunities to join their highly successful business. They are now looking for a Senior Production Manager for Vegetables to join their team.
Key Aspect of the Role:
You will hold the responsibility for vegetable crop production across the Farm site to ensure the right land preparation is achieved before planting for optimum crop establishment. In addition, the Senior Production Manager is the link between the Packhouse and the Field in terms of timely product supply, quantity and quality issues and will lead the team in preparation for farm audits and customer visits.
- Manage all farm machinery i.e. tractors and other implements
- Mange labor planning and allocations as well as staff recruitment, allocating them to the various teams
- Ensure that the Field Managers working in the section allocate daily work targets to staff and record performance of all team members
- Ensure that all labour in the section is effective and efficient and that all staff achieve the recommended daily tasks.
- Maintain staff discipline and welfare in accordance with Company policies
- Be in charge of the Health and Safety of all employees
- Execute the Farm’s weekly planting program
- Ensure that the right plant population is attained at planting
- Ensure weed free fields and general farm hygiene through timely weed control and general sanitation
- Ensure timely crop support, coiling, tucking, stringing and removal
- Manage irrigation and scheduling of irrigation based on different crop requirements and stages of production. Reduction of water wastage from leaks and over irrigation
- Lead the agronomy team to ensure that pest control is well managed and all pests and diseases are kept below threshold at all times
- Direct the Farm’s crop nutrition in terms of implementation of fertilizer plans, composting / manure application and foliar feeding
- Plan all the farm/section operations for the month, week, and day in consultation with the Farm Manager.
- Ensure that all crop husbandries i.e. land preparation, planting, weeding, irrigation and spraying etc are done to the highest possible standard.
- Confirm all picking predictions done by picking supervisors.
- Ensure that produce is picked on time, handled carefully and is of high quality in accordance with the Packhouse standards.
- Co-ordinate produce shading and transport to the Packhouse
- Communicate with Packhouse daily and make regular visit to confirm quality issues
What we Want to See:
- In-depth knowledge of the agriculture industry
- Proven production/growing experience within the industry
- Demonstrable ability to communicate, present and influence effectively across all levels within the organization
- Client, quality and results oriented
- Team leadership
- Proven ability to effectively manage multiple projects concurrently
- Excellent listening and negotiation skills
This is a fascinating business with a fascinating future and with a great career enhancing role on offer. To find out more, apply via this website or call Max MacGillivray on +44 (0) 1284 715055 to find out more quoting Ref: 4875M