As the largest integrated forestry business in the UK, our client is Europe’s leading timber processing operation. They are a rapidly developing multi-site business, with a turnover in excess of £650m and operations spanning forestry, sawmilling, timber manufacturing and energy.
This business unit is located at Bronington on the Welsh Borders. The nursery produces an extensive range of commercial forestry and native broadleaf species, marketing approximately 33 million trees a year to customers throughout the UK and Europe. This is an exciting time to join the business, especially with their continued growth plans.
As part of their ambitious growth and continued plans, they are seeking to appoint an experienced Agronomist to lead their Agronomy team and work closely with nursery managers and staff to ensure they raise crops to the highest standard of quality for customers.
About the Role
You will ensure delivery of high quality crops on an intensive, large scale, while commercially sustainable within strict parameters of cost and time. You will work closely with Nursery Managers to advise on the right crop treatment regimens as part of a varied job role which will include:
• Leading the Agronomy team to ensure effective monitoring of the growth of all crops.
• Plan plant protection and nutrition of crops.
• Develop and deliver field trials for pesticides and other crop treatments.
• Understand the legislative requirements and ensure that they comply with the latest regulations in relation to plant treatments.
• Work closely with the other parts of the business to input into their long-term planning process.
The successful candidate ideally will have a BASIS Qualification as well as a degree in a forestry/agricultural or similar subject. You must also have experience of managing and monitoring Agronomy on an intensive large scale in an agricultural/horticultural setting. Any experience of commercial growing in a forest nursery environment will also be an advantage.
In return, you can look forward to developing a long-term career with one of the industry’s leading employers. As well as the competitive salary, this position includes other benefits such as:
• 31 days holiday (inclusive of Bank Holidays), increasing to 33 after 2 years’ service.
• Agricultural sick pay scheme.
• Cycle to Work Scheme.
• Funded learning and career development opportunities.
• Employee benefits portal with access to exclusive deals and discounts on 100s of high street brands, utilities, eating out and more!
If this sounds of interest and have have the pre-requisite skills, experience and qualifications, don’t delay get your application immediately via this website.