Writtle University College (WUC) is recognised and ranked as a top University provider in the East of England for overall student satisfaction with teaching. Established in 1893, WUC has been producing leaders in land-based industries and organisations for more than 120 years. It is one of the oldest specialist institutions in the UK and offers a range of land-based, animal and sports courses at various levels of academic study including Postgraduate, Undergraduate, Further Education, Short Courses and Apprenticeships.
They attract students locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally. Their facilities and resources, based on a very picturesque campus of approximately 150 hectares, are used to enhance the student learning experience, enabling them to gain both theoretical and practical skills whilst studying with them. WUC has a history of achieving excellence and being a recognised market leader. They have award-winning alumni that have gone on to become leaders in their industry sectors.
Due to ongoing growth WUC is now looking for a key individual to join them as Chief Financial Officer. The role would suit a proven individual from the agricultural, food, or academic sectors who wishes to use their expertise to grow WUC and to benefit the sectors ongoing through such a unique position.
Interview with Professor Tim Middleton, Vice Chancellor of WUC – Click to View
As a key member of the Executive Management team, the Chief Financial Officer is responsible for the overall finance function of the University, encompassing the primary day-to-day planning, implementation, management, and control of all financial and strategically commercial-related activities. Reporting to the Vice-Chancellor and the Board of Governors, the CFO will also have a longer-term focus on strategy development and implementation with external partners and businesses both in the UK and internationally making WUC future-proof in its areas of expertise.
The position includes having direct responsibility for financial accounting, forecasting, and funding together with legal, insurance and IT-related activities. You will forge strong relationships with multiple stakeholders including the Governors, bankers, auditors, and other regulatory authorities as well as the Executive Management and the finance team.
Overall, you will work extensively to develop strong, collaborative relationships and provide business finance leadership to support the implementation of the WUC growth strategy.
The CFO will lead the Company’s Finance team in delivering the following:
• Business and Financial Leadership
• Financial Reporting
• Financial Year-end and Audit
• Budget Process
• Strategic Planning Process
• Financial Management
• Risk Management and Compliance
• Tax Planning
• Treasury Management
The Candidate Requirements:
- An entrepreneurially minded self-starter consistently looking for new ways to grow and strengthen the University College outside of the traditional boundaries of the CFO role.
- You will be degree qualified, have significant experience in agriculture, food, FMCG, and/or academia, and be ACA or FCA accredited with suitable experience in professional practice.
- Ability to think strategically but have a hands-on pragmatic approach to implementation.
- Ability to interact at Board level and participate in strategic decision-making.
- Proven track record of strategic financial application i.e. the ability to put forward sound strategic recommendations based on the analysis and interpretation of the numbers.
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail with an ability to prioritise and work with a sense of urgency to meet deadlines.
- An enthusiastic team player with strong interpersonal skills.
- Skills to develop and negotiate contracts.
- Ability to build strong collaborative relationships both internally and externally.
- Willingness to travel in the UK as required.
- Advanced practical knowledge of MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) is essential.
To explore this career-enhancing opportunity with one of the UK’s most innovative and forward-thinking sector Universities, please submit your resume via this website. To discuss further, please call Max MacGillivray on 01284 715055 for a confidential discussion quoting Ref: 05528M
Any third party applications will be directly forward to Redfox Executive Selection for review.