As one of the four Agri-Tech Innovation Centres established as part of the UK Agri-Tech Strategy, our client is responding by driving the growth of agricultural technology. Supported by Innovate UK, they are committed to the delivery of research, development, demonstration and training in precision agriculture and engineering for the livestock, arable, horticulture and aquaculture sectors.
With 25 Satellite Farms forming a network of commercial operations spanning the UK and covering all major agricultural commodities. Test-beds for research and development to aid the improvement of productivity and efficiency within the sector. The farm network measures the variances within each farming system using cutting edge precision agriculture equipment and sensors.
The newly created position of Crop Technician will focus on developing, trialling and demonstrating farm technology. This can include sampling, testing, measuring, recording, and analysing results. Your job is to provide all the required technical support for our clients farm network to function effectively while adhering to correct procedures and health and safety guidelines. It plays an important role in the foundation stages of research and development (R&D) and in scientific analysis and investigation.
The successful candidate will play a pivotal and autonomous role in delivering R&D projects for agricultural clients across the UK. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced and driven Technician with a proven background in on-farm trials to join a reputable and growing business. On-the-job training will be provided for using more niche equipment.
DUTIES & KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
Farm Technical Trials
• Construct, maintain and operate technical equipment
• Perform field-based tests/trials in order to produce reliable and precise data to support scientific investigations
• Use a wide range of field-based (mobile) technical equipment machinery to perform tests
• Use computer programs to compile and access data sets and distribute them as appropriate
• Engage with new and existing members to support the development of project protocol in relation to agricultural projects
• Demonstrate farm technology and support training workshops
Farm Activity Management
• Co-ordinate on-farm project activity
• Attend project meetings, farm visits and events around the UK and potentially abroad
• Organise procurement and shipment for on-farm technology
• Represent farmers in project consortiums
• Liaise between farmers and technical team
• Coordinate farm events
- You MUST have a minimum Batchelors degree in a relevant subject such as Agriculture, Engineering etc.
- You will need experience of Agricultural Technology/Engineering
- You will be IT literate
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills
If this sounds like the opportunity you’ve been looking for, please use a covering letter, in addition to your CV, to address the list of requirements indicating how your qualifications, experience, skills, and knowledge match the criteria given.