The G’s Group is an international farming business established in 1952, vertically integrated and driven by market leading innovation and customer insight. They supply customers across the UK, Europe and the USA.
As part of the overall impressive G’s Group’s growth, West Africa Farms (WAF) was established in 2011 in Senegal and grows Spring Onions and Radish for export to the UK and Europe, primarily over the UK/EU winter period. Crops are grown on a pivot system and are irrigated with water from the canal which is fed from the nearby lake.
WAF employs over 1500 local people. Prior to West Africa Farms being established, the local community were primarily subsistence farmers. WAF has enabled the community to develop local agriculture with the provision of a constant water supply, a medical center, and schools.
The businesses has identified the opportunity to eliminate the shoulders of their supply chain in the UK and the EU by establish and creating this highly successful and professional growing operation in West Africa. This has given them a uniqueness in their fresh categories that has secured their relationships with key retailers to give a year-round supply of much sought after fresh produce lines.
They are now in a position of looking for a Farm Manager to take further forward the success they have created to date in West Africa.
We are ideally looking for a team player who has a good knowledge of crop production, who is adaptable, logical and flexible, and who is capable of managing a team as well as being an effective communicator across many levels.
The role will include the management of:
- Health and safety within the farming operation
- Planning and implementing the Crop Production programmes.
- Ensure Crops are produced safely with the highest Ethical, environmental and Food Safety standards.
- All Farm operations including cultivations, drilling, spraying , fertilising and irrigation with pivot irrigation.
- Management of all Harvest Operations.
- Planning irrigation scheduling and crop agronomy.
- Managing a team of people including machinery operators, supervisors and a Technical Manager.
What we want to see:
- Ideally good knowledge of irrigated Salad and vegetable crop production
- Good understanding of Health and Safety and Food Safety.
- Ideally a formal Agricultural qualification
- A good knowledge of the operation of modern machinery
- Excellent people management skills
- To be practical and able to think for themselves and solve problems/ challenges in a logical way
- Be a great communicator with the ability to communicate at all levels
- Ideally although not essential, some understanding of French language
- Be IT literate
- Able to work within a small Management team and be prepared to be flexible in getting involved in the general management of the business
We have visited the site and can state that what has been achieved to date is awe inspiring. To be part of this growing success in a region of Africa that is expanding rapidly and that is far closer to the UK/EU than East or South Africa cannot be overlooked.
To find put more, please apply via this website or call Max MacGillivray direct on +44 (0) 1284 715055 quoting Ref: 05262M
Please note that any third party applications for this role will be send directly to Redfox.