Our client has over 9ha of glass growing mostly cucumbers, aubergines & peppers in the Lea Valley.
They are seeking an experienced Fresh Produce Nursery Manager, in order to help run their 6 Sites across the Lea Valley. Reporting to the Head of Growing, you will support the successful growing of high quality from produce through managing dedicated teams. Quality management includes automated irrigation and temperature control systems.
Responsibilities will include:
- Delivery a healthy and high quality crop across the season in order to hit target yields.
- Managing Hydroponic system and fertiliser recipe for optimum crop growth.
- Managing and monitoring environmental control using Priva or Hoogendoorn computer system.
- Rotation on environmental alarm system (on call).
- Tracking and reporting of yield data.
- Tracking and reporting results of crop trials.
- Maintaining a close dialogue with the commercial team in order to provide accurate forecasts to effectively manage supply and demand.
- Maintain close relationship with technical team to ensure our produce is safe, traceable and compliant with UK standards.
- Managing teams of Supervisors and Crop workers ensuring they are up to date with crop work, harvesting whilst working safely and within regulations.
- Managing the application of Pesticides when required.
- Monitoring of our Biological Control applications.
- Giving guided tours to customers to showcase our great facility and products.
- Staying in the loop of new Growing information and Technology to help our client stay at the forefront of Horticulture.
- Maintaining and managing of stock in an economical and efficient manner.
- Managing the clean-up and preparation of greenhouses for the following season.
- Supporting R&D trials for produce varieties.
- Previous experience managing a Growing operation supplying UK Supermarkets
- PA1 / PA6 pesticide spraying qualification.
- Knowledge of operating environmental control systems and crop steering.
- Understanding, identification and management of common crop pests.
- People management skills.
- Understanding of Excel, Microsoft word and PowerPoint.
- Basic understanding of greenhouse maintenance and common trouble shooting of machinery.
- Formal horticultural training desired.
- Technical and compliance understanding of Food Safety and Quality.
- Experience of maintaining biosecurity control for protected crop.
- Basic HACCP knowledge.
- Good analytical and data management.
- On-site parking
- Profit sharing
- Referral programme
- Free/Discounted Food.
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability