An exciting new opportunity has arisen for a Senior Growing Manager for leafy greens to lead the team within an exciting new vertical farming set up.
Our client is a leading indoor hydroponic farming company, which grows leafy salads and fresh herbs in a totally controlled indoor environment. The company believes that indoor farming will be the future of farming because of the substantial environmental benefits that it brings (95% less water, reduced land footprint, reduced ‘food miles’).
Due to continued success they are planning to expand very rapidly both within the UK and overseas and their vision is to be the leading indoor farming company in the world. The second farm is planned to start operating in Summer 2021.
The role is to lead the production, harvesting, and dispatching of all salable crop from their facility based in Burton-Upon-Trent. All operational elements from ordering seed to balancing nutrients and data logging yields will fall under the remit of this individual. Leading a small team of qualified agronomists, the challenge is to meet and surpass the required yield and quality targets to support the establishment of our client as a market leading provider of highest quality leafy green crop.
You will utilise your expertise in advanced planting systems to develop and implement best-practice guidelines within hydroponic systems producing high quality leafy salad and herb crops. The delivery of training and guidance to technical and growing teams will also form part of this role. Your key duties extend to but not limited to:
• Research & Analysis: Developing advanced methods to increase plant yields through technical trials, tests and analysis.
• Production Systems & Techniques: Developing new growth methods; delivery of specialists’ advice and support to nurseries; identification of best-practice pest & disease management programs; continuous improvement initiatives; and ensuring alignment with global-practice standards.
• Plant Health & Physiology: Developing guidelines to achieve optimum propagation; management of Clean Seed/Stock Program; and provision of technical advice to internal teams.
You will be given full autonomy and decision making abilities in the development of nursery system plant production guidelines and procedures.
To be considered for this role, applicants will need to demonstrate the following:
- Qualifications in Horticulture, Plant Science or related discipline
- Experience of growing Leafy Greens and/or herbs
- Experience within in soil-less, hydroponic plant production techniques would be beneficial but not a pre-requisite
- Ability to guide and train others in best practice techniques through use of solid interpersonal, communication & relationship building skills
Just complete the short application via this page, or email firstname.lastname@example.org