Our client is one of the largest producers of Soft fruit across the continent of Australia. Due to continued developments, they now have a need for a Horticultural specialist to join their berry teams, in North-Eastern Australia, close to the Great Barrier Reef.
You will be responsible for the blueberry irrigation and nutrition including; monitoring the daily hydroponic fertigation systems, data analysis and providing guidance to the irrigation teams on best practices. The Irrigation and Nutrition Horticulturist will ensure proactive identification of issues that may have adverse effect on crop health and yield, and act decisively when seeking solutions and executing controls. At the heart of all effort is the improvement of plant performance, longevity, and profitability.
About the role:
- Primary focus on blueberry irrigation and nutrition
- Monitor, report and make decisions on daily hydroponic fertigation requirements including EC and pH management.
- Manage and analyse data – collect samples for nutrient analysis, collate and prepare reports
- Provide strong technical guidance to irrigation teams to ensure best management strategies are adhered to.
- Involvement in areas of crop productions such as: trial work, planning, canopy management, research and development projects and pest and disease
- Coordination of horticultural activities in conjunction with operations teams
- Initiate trial work to increase plant yields or improve crop timing
- Lead harvesting and data collection of variety improvement projects
- Support, monitor and manage budget requirements, adhering to financial requirements and schedules as directed by HM and Regional Manager. Track financial performance regularly to ensure compliance with budgetary requirements.
- Use knowledge gained to identify favourable traits within certain crops and implement strategies to realise its full potential
To be successful in this role you will have;
- Horticultural or agricultural qualifications (Degree) or equivalent experience
- Relevant experience within irrigation and nutrition management
- A passion for plant production and a strong desire for wanting to obtain knowledge
- A passion for field work and be involved in day-to-day operations
- Previous exposure to budget and KPI’s
- High level of organisation and planning skills
- The ability to make decisions independently and act with a sense of urgency
- Demonstrate high level of accountability, commitment and performance
In addition, you should have excellent ability to:
- Communicate clearly with strong interpersonal skills for people management
- Influence and work alongside a diverse range of people
- Use Microsoft Word and Excel
What’s on offer:
- Full relocation expenses
- Permanent, Fulltime position + Base Salary + Superannuation
- Experience growth and learn from an expert team who are generous with their knowledge
- Opportunities to specialise and progress
- Full IT Kit provided
- Potential for travel and work in other regions within the Berry Category