M&E Design Engineer – Vertical Farming
We are proud to be working exclusively with one of the UK’s most innovative Control Environment Agricultural businesses. As a real pioneer of vertical farming growing systems, their industry insight and experience is second to-none.
Due to continued success, they are now in the market for a exceptional Mechanical & Electrical Design Engineer that will support the Chief Technical Officer and help accelerate market leadership through the development and rapid launch of unique growing systems. They will play a major contribution to the Design and Engineering to ensure that from systems design and development, people and processes are harmonised for maximum speed, impact and performance. This may include managing a small internal team of engineers as well as working with contractors.
Our client are looking for an experienced M&E Design Engineer to maintain, carry out and manage the design of all Mechanical and Electrical aspects of existing and new projects. The farming process is highly automated so the ideal candidate will have experience in the design of M&E installations for similar projects such as, vertical farms, greenhouses, manufacturing facilities, distribution centres or automated warehouses. It is intended that further sites will be acquired whilst construction of a second project is being built and the projects will continue from there.
The candidate will be reporting directly into the Technical Lead will lead all elements of the M&E design, working closely with the operations and design team to develop concept ideas into reality. These ideas are all unique and not found in any design manual,
allowing freedom for creativity from the individual.
• Carry out the detailed design of all mechanical and electrical systems for major Manufacturing/Industrial projects. Direct experience with mushroom farms, vertical farms, greenhouses and poultry farms is a plus.
• Ensure that designs meet user requirements with regards to cost limits and time scales.
• Prepare detailed and accurate budgets and forecasts.
• Undertake all necessary site inspections and provide relevant reports.
• Prepare technical specifications and schedules and design development reports.
• Comply with all relevant policy, standards and statutory legislation including quality management, customer services and equal opportunities.
• Lead and manage internal and external design teams.
• Carry out site surveys to identify needs and requirements and make recommendations as necessary.
• Co-ordinate with clients, other professions and members of the senior
• Ability to accurately size and cost full new water systems for complex projects.
• Ability to size and cost electrical systems, cables, switchgear, deal with DNO’s for complex projects. Integration with renewable power also beneficial.
• Knowledge of poultry/agricultural ventilation systems is beneficial, but not essential.
• Project management experience beneficial
Skills & Attributes
• Personable and able to work well in a team.
• Qualified to Degree or Masters level in Mechanical or Building Services Engineering.
• Must be a Chartered Mechanical Engineer.
• Ideally Mechanically biased engineer but with a good Electrical background and knowledge.
• Strong design background having worked within a design Consultancy environment.
• Must have designed within the Manufacturing/Industrial sectors.
• Ideally worked for a Contractor in a Design Manager role however this is not essential.
• Must have extensive, demonstrable post graduate experience.
• Have the ability to self-manage, solve complex problems and put new innovative ideas in to practice.
• Have a hands-on working knowledge of REVIT MEP, CAD and other relevant design software.
• Be proficient in PowerPoint and Excel.
• Must have led a team of Design Engineers and Technicians previously.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, you will need to have high energy, humility and agility. You will be a problem solver with a creative outlook. You must be a natural leader with an ability to “get things done.” Strong communication skills are required to ensure successful project management across the design and engineering divisions. You will be a graduate with an extremely practical “hands on” approach.
This is a superb opportunity to play a significant role within a highly progressive company. An excellent remuneration package that reflects the seniority of this position is on offer for the successful candidate. Shortlisting is taking place over the next few weeks, so if this sounds like the ideal role for you and you can demonstrate that you possess the prerequisite skills and experience, don’t delay get your application in immediately, quoting ref: 05001IR