We are working with one of the UK’s leading Vertical Farming businesses. Due to their commitment to be the “best in class” and at the cutting-edge of technology, growing methods and crop-types, they are now in the market for an exceptional individual who will lead their Research & Development programme.
- Create, implement and manage the trials program from initial research through to commercial viability.
- Oversee the cultivation and maintenance of plants and crops, prescribing all environmental conditions, nutrient management, harvesting and seeding methodologies.
- Develop and embed the use of DOE and statistical analysis of trials data to deliver, quality, yield and shelf-life improvements.
- Developing new products, evaluate alternate crop varieties, optimise growing recipes.
- Exercise strong team leadership and people management skills and develop staff capability, providing mentorship and career pathways for agronomy skills within the business.
- Work closely with in-house and external technical specialists to solve challenges that further develop the capability and effectiveness of production.
- Identify opportunities to further develop position within the sector through active engagement in industry forums and learning events.
- Forge strong relationships with strategic tertiary education providers.
- Present to the board, providing guidance and advice.
This role requires a horticulturalist of high caliber, with a strong commercial acumen. He/ she will need to be a plant expert who is skilled at setting and achieving goals, managing complex projects and can ensure long-term success. This needs to be a confident person who can work autonomously and who will own the problems in order to bring solutions.
- Master’s degree or PhD in Sciences (plant science, horticulture, agronomy, botany, biology, agricultural engineering, or any other related field).
- A combination of science education with strong focus on commercial acumen.
- 3 years + greenhouse growing experience or in another controlled environment.
- Experience in agribusiness and/or food production is highly beneficial.
- High energy level with a confident personality that thrives on change and making impact.
- Results-oriented with the ability to interpret and effectively manage multiple and competing priorities and timelines.
- Desire to bring innovation and best-in-class business practices to the industry.
If this sounds like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for, don’t delay, get your application in ASAP via this website.