The aim of our unique client is to harness Controlled Environment technology to produce mass volume that can feed the world rather than targeting the premium end of the market. Given the ground-breaking nature of the business, they have been designing and developing their own equipment and have significant IP as well as unique plant development expertise.
Our client has interest from a major supermarkets, who see them as the most commercially minded out of all the vertical farms they have seen. Focusing on volume, they will be able to beat field grown crops in terms of price. Part of the reduced cost model is developing renewable sources of energy which currently accounts for 80% of growing costs; a solar farm is already being developed that will considerably reduce this, as well as their carbon footprint.
Taking into consideration the growth of our client in the near future with the building of Farms 2, 3 and 4 and their ambition to scale up even more and expand outside of the UK, our client is searching for an entrepreneurial R&D Lead. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual seeking to accelerate his/her career in a diverse, fast-moving, expanding, and innovative company.
The R&D Lead is expected to own, energise and accelerate the rate of learning at both F1 and F2 through the utilisation of the F1 facility. The individual will have excellent organisational, communication and strategic skills, adding value in the following areas:
- Create, implement and manage the trials program.
- Oversee the cultivation and maintenance of plants and crops, prescribing all environmental conditions, nutrient management, harvesting and seeding methodologies.
- Develop and embed the use of DOE and statistical analysis of trials data to deliver, quality, yield and shelf life improvements.
- Developing new products, evaluate alternate crop varieties, optimise growing recipes.
- Develop staff capability, providing mentorship and career pathways for agronomy skills within the business.
- Identify opportunities to further develop within the sector through active engagement in industry forums and learning events.
- Forge strong relationships with strategic tertiary education providers.
- Present to the board, providing guidance and advice .
This role requires a horticulturalist of high calibre, with a strong commercial acumen. He/ she will need to be a plant expert who is skilled at setting and achieving goals, managing complex projects and can ensure the long-term success of our client. You will need to be a confident person who can work autonomously and who will own the problems in order to bring solutions.
You will also need to have :
- Master’s degree or PhD in Sciences (plant science, horticulture, agronomy, botany, biology, agricultural engineering, or any other related field).
- A combination of science education with strong focus on commercial acumen.
- 3 years + greenhouse growing experience or in another controlled environment.
- Experience in agribusiness and/or food production is considered to be a strong asset.
- High energy level with a confident personality that thrives on change and making impact.
- Results-oriented with the ability to interpret and effectively manage multiple and competing priorities and timelines.
If this sounds like the opportunity you’ve been searching for, apply via. this website without delay, quoting ref: 05564IR or for a confidential chat about this role, give Ian Reed a call.