Our client has a unique sustainable production method for Sphagnum moss. They supply large-scale Peatland Restoration projects in UK and Europe. Additionally, they are researching the use of sphagnum moss as a sustainable peat alternative using Sphagnum Farming methods, and are involved in Carbon Farming projects too. They have an active R&D department, for products and systems for the future.
Reporting to the MD the Project Manager will be responsible for managing and delivering both externally funded research projects and the company’s internal R&D programme. The main focus of the project is working with farmers to scale-up Sphagnum Farming, to deliver volume production of sphagnum for use as a peat alternative. Also managing production trials in glasshouse.
Working with MD to develop and submit new project proposals. Working closely with the MD to develop trials strategy and experimental design and working with Trials Manager to set up, visit and monitor trial sites. To communicate and work with all project partners building effective on-going
relationships. Developing techniques for planting, growing, drying and processing of sphagnum with
project partners and for our client’s own use in growing media.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
• Prepare detailed plans for trials, sourcing equipment needed
• Ensure trial details are fully implemented as planned
• Prepare agreements with site owners, and liaising regarding trial details
• Maintaining good communications with site owners and project partners
• Supporting site owners and project partners in finding solutions to technical challenges
• Ensuring that trials produce quality sphagnum whilst meeting economic parameters
• Develop production and handling techniques from initial production through to supply of appropriate product to growing media companies
• Ensuring year on year continuous improvements in quality, yield and economic return by developing and improving techniques, procedures and processes
• Keep MD up to date with progress, discuss technical challenges
• Regular meetings with Trials Manager, to update plans as needed depending on eg.
• weather, site readiness
• Prepare reports for external project quarterly meetings. Liaising with Monitoring Officers and project partners for reports
• Preparing project finance claims and submitting after MD approval
• Responsible for health & safety, risk assessments and environmental activities when on site and ensuring the company’s policies and procedures are followed as appropriate.
If this fascinating and rewarding project sounds like the opportunity for you, please call Ian Reed at Redfox for a confidential chat or apply via. this website without delay quoting ref: 05543IR