We are working with Australia’s largest berry producer with multiple sites located across Australia. They grow and market blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and blackberries. At the forefront of genetic and growing innovation, they export to some of the most demanding markets in the world.
Based just south of the stunning Gold-coast of Australia, in this position the Senior Agronomist will ensure excellent support to the Horticultural Manager and the Corindi Horticultural Team, along with leading all horticultural activities associated with the production of raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries. Including, but not limited to, production planning, irrigation and nutrition management, pest and disease management, canopy management, crop pollination, weed control, growth and development projects, and R&D.
The Senior Agronomist will ensure proactive identification of issues that may have adverse effect on crop health and yield, and act decisively when seeking solutions and executing controls. At the heart of all effort is the improvement of plant performance, longevity, and profitability.
The Senior Agronomist will lead a team of horticulturists with specialisations in pest & disease, irrigation & nutrition, and research & development. The senior agronomist will allocate necessary responsibility among the team to ensure optimization of all horticultural activities and associated R&D activities. Acknowledging the role Corindi plays within the broader business, cultivate a high standard of horticultural excellence within the team, conducive to the training and development of horticultural personnel.
Additional project work will form part of this role, as priorities develop. Significant opportunities exist for development of technical and management skillsets in this large and active operation within a diversified horticultural business.
About the role:
• Cultivate a team environment which strives for horticultural excellence in blueberry production
• Mentor and develop direct reports
• Optimise irrigation and nutrition programs to improve plant health and productivity
• Ensure pest and disease management system is optimised and executed effectively to minimise negative economic impact
• Develop annual site pollination plan, secure contracts with apiarists, ensure compliance with site procedures and policies
• Manage the crop scouting program to ensure proactive and effective control measures are implemented on time
• Provide training and understanding to operations teams regarding safe handling, storage, and usage of agrichemicals
• Maintain all horticultural and agrichemical records up to date
• Align programs with Sustainable Commercial Farming Principles
• Provide planning and technical inputs to ensure operational tasks (e.g. planting, pruning, weed control, mulch application) are carried out with optimal timing and technique.
• Coordinate and track horticultural programs to ensure execution is optimized, and expenses align with budget
• Assist harvest team with crop forecasting activities
• Forecast annual horticultural programs to aid budget preparation
• Provide recommendations to the Horticultural Manager on varietal selection, and site optimization for future development projects
• Coordinate R&D activities with a clear vision toward long term production improvements, comprised of practical R&D projects
• Permanent, Fulltime position + Base Salary + Superannuation
• Opportunities for L&D, progression, mentorships and coaching
• Opportunities for travel
• Free Access to an Employee Assistant Program
• Work-life Balance
• Full IT Kit provided
If this sounds like the opportunity you’ve been looking for, don’t delay with your application !